Submissions for the 2017 festival are now closed.
MainLine Theatre and Revolution They Wrote
Short Works Feminist Theatre & Performance Festival
Revolution They Wrote and MainLine Theatre are proud to present the third annual Short Works Feminist Theatre Festival. A 3-day event which showcases new short works of feminist performance and art. The goal is to create a space for feminist artists of all backgrounds to, gather, develop, and produce short works that explore themes of intersectional feminism.
What does feminist theatre and performance mean? We are open to any style or approach, however for a work to be considered feminist it needs to center on equality and the intersections of gendered oppression.
Some examples of past work include: a 50’s themed absurdist comedy about gender roles and sexuality, a poetic collection of scenes centering on the unrecognized emotional and physical labour women of colour have contributed to history and an experimental movement piece about female relationships. So long as your work is actively seeking to inspire change and critically exploring sexism and oppression we want to hear from you. If you are unsure if your work fits the definition of feminist theatre and performance, please be in touch.
There is no cost to be a part of this festival or to receive its benefits.
* Proposals will be accepted until December 15, 2016.
* A jury will select the proposals to be supported by January 1.
* Over the course of 2017, the selected creators will begin work and will be given:
- One-on-one feminist dramaturgical support from the festival’s artistic director;
- Access to 10 hours of rehearsal space at MainLine Theatre;
- Additional rehearsal space on a case by case basis;
- A public reading or performance of the work at the festival;
- A percentage of the box office funds based on the value of the opportunity;
- Other production-related support: promotional, technical and administrative.
Guidelines for submissions
Creators should submit:
- a short bio (100 words max).
- Depending on the work either a Performance Creation Proposal -or- the most recent draft of the script.
- The submission form found on our website https://revolutiontheywrote.com/submissions/submission-form/
Submissions should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions please contact Artistic Director, Emily Schon at email@example.com.